Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Superstition in the 21st Century

I recently moved house and spent the best part of a day phoning various organisations to advise them of my change of address. Most of the time was spent listening to elevator music and being told that my phone call was valuable and I would be attended to by the next available operator. It was an experience I would not want to go through again in the near future.

So, I was quite surprised while walking the dog this afternoon to see that superstition is so powerfully alive and well in the 21st century that one person self inflicted the address changing ordeal on his or her self by changing the number of their address from 13 to 12A.

Why would you bother? The number on the door might be 12A but the house it still the 13th one in the block. All because 13 people were present at the Last Supper. The Greeks have a word for it: triskadekaphobia. That was the subject of a question at a quiz night I attended many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment